The Conditional sum wizard helps you create complex formulas to sum values in a column based on certain criteria. The wizard is part of Excel Add-ins. You must load it first before it can show up in the Tools menu. See then bottom of this post if you want to know how to load the wizard.
The following example will demonstrate how to use the conditional sum wizard:
Suppose we have data of total sales by month and product as shown below, and we want to sum the total sales for Product3 in the first quarter (months 1 to 3).
1. On the Tools menu click Conditional Sum. The dialogue for step1 will open.
2. Click on the text box then select your data range, including column headings.
3. Click next. The dialogue for step2 will open.
4. Specify your conditions by manipulating the three combo boxes for Column, Is and This value. Click Add condition every time.
5. When finished with your conditions click next. The dialogue for step 3 will open.
6. Specify whether you want to copy your generated formula only, or both formula and the values of your conditions.
7. Click next. The dialogue for step 4 will open.
8. Specify the cell(s) where you want your generated formula (and values of conditions if applicable) to be copied.
9. Click finish. The formula will be copied to the specified cell, and the result of the formula will be shown. Here is the formula in our example:
How to Load the Conditional Sum Wizard
The Conditional Sum Wizard is not loaded by default. To determine whether it has been loaded, on the Tools menu, look for the Wizard menu item. If it is not present, or if when you point to it, the item Conditional Sum is not present, you need to load the add-in.
To load the Conditional Sum Wizard, follow these steps:
1. On the Tools menu, click Add-ins.
2. In the Add-Ins available list, select Conditional Sum Wizard, and then click OK.
Applies to Excel 2003