- Select the cells for which you want to add conditional formatting.
- On the Format menu, click Conditional Formatting.
- The Conditional Formatting dialogue will open.
- In the first combo box select Formula is.
- In the text box next to it write the formula as follows: =$A$1<100. An equal sign followed by the cell reference followed by a comparison or a condition.
- Click the format button, the Format Cells dialogue will open.
- Select the formatting you want to apply when the cell value meets the condition e.g. you can set the font color to red.
In this example, if the value of cell A1 is less than 100, then the color of the selected cells will be red.
Applies to: Excel 2003