In a previous post we talked about how to protect worksheet elements. When you protect a worksheet, by default all its cells will be locked.
If you want to protect or unprotect some cells selectively then do the following:
- Select the cells you want to protect / unprotect.
- In the main menu click Format.
- Click Cells. The Format Cells window will open.
- Click the Protection Tab.
- Select the Locked check box to protect the cell or clear the check box to unprotect it.
In the Protect tab there is a checkbox named Hidden. This checkbox is applicable for cells with formulas.
Select this checkbox to hide formulas from appearing in the formula bar.
- If the Cells command is dimmed when you are trying to protect cells, then parts of the worksheet may already been locked.
Click Tools —> Protection —> Unprotect Sheet.
- When you are done, and in order for your cells to be locked then you must protect the worksheet again through the Tools menu.