Excel provides a vast number of common date formats. However if you do need a format that is not included in the built-in list then you can create your own custom format as follows:
- Right-click on the cell where the date is.
- Select Format Cells.
- When the dialogue box opens select the Number tab.
- In the Category list to the left select Date.
- In the Type list to the right select the format closest to what you want. A sample format will show above.
- In the Category list to the left select Custom. A list of custom formats will show to the right, and the format you selected will show in the Edit Box above.
- Modify the format in the Edit Box and watch the sample.
- When you are satisfied click OK.
- The new format will be applied to the cell and will also be added to the list of custom formats.
Applies to: Excel 2003